Historic Welsh Girl’s Names
As it’s St David day’s we decided to get together some historic Welsh girl’s names:
- Non -of course the mother of Dewi Sant
- Rhiannon– was from the Mabinogion
- Gwendolen – was the wife of King Arthur
- Awen – a girls name that appear in the Welsh National Anthem ‘Hen Wlad fy Nhadau’.
- Brawen – was the daughter of Ll^r from the Mabinogion
- Elen – was a Welsh saint of Caernarfon and the wife of Masen Wledig the Roman Emperor who give Wales the first taste of independence.
- Olwen – was a heroine from the Mabinogion stories.
A significant number of traditional Welsh girls names that we encounter today originate from Welsh mythology. If you found these girls names interesting you might also be interested in our Welsh Girls Names section which includes more names along with their meanings.