Elen is lovely female name that has been common in Wales over the centuries. It was the name of a Welsh saint ‘Elen Luyddog’ who established a number of churches in Wales towards the end of the 4th century.
Origin and Meaning of Elen
Elen is commonly used as a Welsh name for Helen. It is also reported that Elen can mean ‘nymph’.
How to Pronounce Elen
Elen can be pronounced as ‘EL-en’.
Elen is a popular name but it was not in the 100 most popular baby girls’ names in 2012.
There is not an extensive list of famous people with the 1st name Elen but here are a few:
- Elen ferch Llywelyn – the daughter of Llywelyn the Great and was born in the year 1206.
- Elen Rhys – is a Welsh actress who starred in the films Panic Button and Season of the Witches.
- Elin is a similar sounding Welsh name.
- Our list of Welsh girls’ names.
- Get the Best Offers on baby goods.